How Does Sibling Green Card Work?

Jun 24, 2022

How does a sibling green card work? It is possible to obtain a green card for a brother or sister who has lived in the United States for more than ten years. The brother or sister must enter the United States on an immigrant visa and be admitted to permanent residence in order to obtain a green card. The processing time depends on the country. It may take as long as 10 years in Mexico, India, or the Philippines.

If the applicant is an immigrant who lives in another country, they must list the consulate where their sibling was born. USCIS will determine whether the application should be sent to the consulate that maintains diplomatic relations with the country. For example, if the immigrant's sister had been married to a citizen of the country she is applying from, the sibling's visa application will be rejected if the sibling does not have a USCIS online account.

The sibling must be at least 21 years old to apply for a green card. Once the immigrant visa is issued, the sibling must enter the country before it expires. After that, he or she can apply for the Green Card. The U.S. citizen must then receive a form I-864 from the National Visa Center that states that he or she is financially responsible for the sibling's support.

If you are related through the father or mother, you must provide proof of their marriage. You must provide proof that the marriage was legal. A divorce decree or a death certificate are examples of this proof. Another piece of proof is a financial relationship between the two parents. You must prove that you were financially dependent on each other before the age of 21 years old. The documents should be in English. Otherwise, it may not be necessary for the applicant to present them.

While sibling green card can be an option for immigrants who want to stay in the United States, siblings outside the United States will need to apply through consular processing. The National Visa Center will mail packet 3 to your siblings. This packet will include the necessary immigrant visa application forms. If you meet the requirements, you will become a permanent resident of the U.S. and a green card holder. It's that simple!

The steps for applying for a sibling's green card are similar to those for a spouse or parent. First, you must file an application and accompanying documentation with the DS forms. If your application is approved, the USCIS will contact your local U.S. consulate or embassy for processing. Once the petition is approved, you can file an immigrant visa application for your sibling. If your petition is denied, you will be notified and instructed on how to appeal the decision.

If you are already a citizen, you can apply for a sibling green card based on your own family. The sponsor must be a U.S. citizen and must submit supporting documents that show your family relationship with your U.S. citizen sibling. You must also present proof that your American sibling is a citizen or has been naturalized. If you are in the United States and want to apply for a sibling green card, you must be 21 years old.